Around the Wychwood villages there are bits of buildings and metal work left over from the past. It is easy to miss them but here are some examples. How many do you already know? Perhaps you have some favourite examples which we have not noticed. Please send us details so that we can record them in the History Society archives.
|This outside tap is on Fiddlers Hill in Shipton. It served all the cottages in the immediate vicinity. Gordon Duester used to tell how his family relied on it when he lived next door in the 1940s.|
|This second tap is the much classier type to be seen in Fifield.|
|This metal clip – there is another on the other side of the window top – is a reminder of the butcher’s shop run by Dick Avery in the 1920s and 1930s in part of the Lamb Inn in Shipton. A pole between the two clips carried various items of game. It is to be hoped they both survive the current refurbishment being carried out.|
|The name William Hambidge can just be made out on the arch above the front door of Kelcot in Church Street. No Hambidge is known to have lived there since 1830. Was he the proprietor when Kelcot was a tea and coffee shop before that time? The Hambidge family had a delicatessen in Burford.|
|A plaque in the wall of the Green at Shipton recording the very generous gift of the land to the community by Col. Oliver Steddall in memory of his wife Catherine. The Parish Council is apparently considering how the deteriorating legibility caused by lichen growth can be overcome.|
|A stone plaque set high in the front wall of a house in the centre of Milton.|
The plaque is believed to bear the initials of Jeremiah Groves (1700-1762) and Elizabeth Booth of Icombe (d1799) who were married in 1729. This is the suggestion of the Victoria County History, Wychwood Forest and Environs volume as pointed out by John Bennett. It was once a pub called the Bird in Hand.
|Old Cotswold stone flags (sometimes called pig stones because they were used to build simple pigsties) form the border between Trots Brook in Shipton and the conservation area now being destroyed by development. They are probably at least two hundred years old. Other examples can be seen on walks around the Wychwood.|
|The sealed Post Office mail box set in the wall of the former Milton Post Office. It is now painted black. The insignia George without a number probably indicates that it was installed in the reign of George V.|